Kitchen Garden Windows in SeattleWe install and replace garden windows to brighten up your kitchen
Kitchen garden windows (also called garden windows) are ideal for those who want to add a focal point to their kitchen or living room, and grow some plants indoors. These windows extend outwards slightly and have shelves where plants can be placed to receive more sunlight.
Lake Washington Windows is a window and door company based in Renton, WA. If you want to brighten up your kitchen with a kitchen garden window, reach out to us!
How much does a kitchen garden window cost?
For a high-quality window, you’ll have to pay somewhere between $1,000-3,000. This includes installation. The costs will differ based on size, features, and materials. For affordable garden windows, go with Andersen or Milgard – two of the top window manufacturers in the USA.
How do you install a kitchen garden window?
The process of installing a kitchen garden window is a complicated and time-consuming one requiring specialized tools, so we don’t recommend trying it on your own. Lake Washington Windows & Doors provides affordable installation services. Our crew is professionally trained and insured, so you can be sure everything will go well.
What are the dimensions of a garden window?
You can get the windows in different dimensions to suit your needs. However, the minimum size is usually 36” x 36”, while the maximum is 72” x 60”. The windows extend outwards by as much as 24 inches. Bear in mind that if you want a more unique size, the cost will go up.
What can you grow in a kitchen garden window?
Herbs are some of the best plants to grow at home. Chives, thyme, parsley, oregano and mint are all excellent options. However, sun-loving plants such as tomatoes will tolerate partial sun as well, and you’ll get a couple fresh tomatoes from your very own home-grown plant. You can tuck houseplants such as pothos into corners to make efficient use of shelf space.
How to keep your kitchen garden window looking nice
You want your garden windows to look nice year-round. Here are some maintenance tips that will help you keep the window look great with minimal effort.
- Place glazed saucers under your containers, so water doesn’t flow out of the containers and damage or discolor your kitchen garden window shelf
- Dust the window shelves regularly, and deep-clean the window once a year
- Regular pruning is important (especially for climbing plants)
- Fertilize your plants regularly, so they can flourish
- Consider top-dressing the soil in containers with moss, hay or compost if your garden soil looks unattractive
- Remove spent blooms every couple days to keep the plant looking fresh, and to encourage more blooms
- Clean the glass panes every week to remove dirt, dust and water stains
Novelty is also important if you want things to look interesting and attractive. So keep an eye out, and keep changing the window to reflect the seasons, and your changing preferences. Refresh plants every couple years so they don’t look worn out and haggard.
Kitchen garden window ideas
Here are some ideas for choosing a window that looks great, and using plants for maximum effect. While decorating, always remember that less is more!
- White frames and transparent shelves will maximize the amount of light your plants get, while making the window look attractive
- Add curtains if you want to change things up a bit
- Place trailing plants or vines (e.g., creeping jenny) towards the top, so they can cascade into the room
- Make sure flowering plants, or plants with interesting foliage are at eye level
- Display brightly-colored ceramics and trinkets to brighten up the space
- Place plants that like dappled sun (most indoor plants) in extra spaces
Contact Lake Washington Windows by calling (425) 255-2600. Our office hours are 8 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. You can get a free estimate by reaching out online.
Free Replacement Estimate
Start saving energy, lower your heating bill, and improve the appearance of your home. Call the Certified Window and Door Replacement Specialists at Lake Washington Windows at (425) 255-2600 for a Free Estimate! We offer financing and payment plans too.